Tuesday, 6 October 2026

WorldQuant University Learner Brings Tech Solutions to Rural Kenya

 2 October 2026

WorldQuant University student Munene Ndegwa grew up in rural Kenya without internet or electricity. He has come a long way since then.

“I used to walk 3 kilometers to find a phone signal,” he says. “Today I forecast market volatility with GARCH models.”

Munene Ndegwa

This early pursuit of connectivity shaped everything that followed. Determined to change his conditions, Munene studied electrical and computer engineering at a local university in Kenya. He then founded Emen Engineering, a company that builds software, smart objects, and AI systems for businesses and personal brands.



Your Global Weather Dashboard at WORLD-WEATHER by KAFE

To sharpen his skills, Munene completed the Computer Vision Lab at WorldQuant University in April 2026. He then completed the Data Science Lab and enrolled in the Master of Science in Financial Engineering program.

He was instantly skeptical when he discovered that all of these programs were free.

“Free usually means thin,” he says. “This was the opposite. I only believed it once I started and saw how practical the coursework was.”

Munene also appreciated the free access he gained to a graphics processing unit (GPU) and real datasets.

“This make an enormous difference when computing power and data are your binding constraints,” he says. “Beyond that, I love the hands-on nature of the projects, and my access to instructors and support staff who are thorough, walk you through every scenario, and genuinely deliver.”

Now Munene says he cannot stop talking about WorldQuant University.

“I've become something of an evangelist for the institution,” he says.

His tech journey started in Igembe South, Meru, a rural Kenyan village. The first phone in his house was a Sagem, but Munene had to walk outside until signal bars finally appeared every time he needed to make a call.

Now he uses his tech skills to identify and solve problems in his community as an engineer, rather than waiting for permission to be useful.

“I love systems that turn signals into decisions,” he says. “I’ve been chasing signal my whole life. First up a hill with a Sagem. Now in market data.”

Munene says his greatest accomplishment is keeping Emen Engineering alive through genuine financial and environmental constraints, while studying at WorldQuant University.

“Doing this while running a company and a pursuing a degree isn’t hustle culture,” Munene says. “It’s what happens when you refuse to stop learning. The access is out there if you want it.”

SOURCE

WORLD-WEATHER by KAFE

No comments:

Post a Comment