Friday, November 1, 2013 |
by- SANDRA CHAO
The first of the tourists who had travelled by road arrived into the county on Thursday evening and more people are expected to arrive before Sunday.
A convoy organised by the Kenya Tourism Board, Kenya Wildlife Services and the National Museums of Kenya and comprising of local and international tourists was on Thursday flagged off from Nairobi.
They spent the first night in Isiolo before proceeding to Marsabit early Friday morning.
Speaking to the Business Daily after flagging of the caravan headed for Sibiloi from Marsabit town, County Governor Ukur Yatani said that the eclipse had stimulated an entrepreneurship spirit within the county.
“In the short span of time we have seen entrepreneurs come together to set up accommodation facilities and provide other essential services like food and water to the large number that we are receiving,” he said.
He explained that the local communities had also been mobilised in groups to sell artifacts as well as being given designated platforms to showcase the county’s different cultures.
So far 25 campsites have been set up within Sibiloi and adequately equipped with sanitation services and water points for the tourists.
In anticipation for those who would be weary of the long distance road travel the KWS extended the runway of the airstrip at the Sibiloi National Park in order to be able to receive larger aircrafts.
“We are anticipating about 2,000 local and foreign tourists and it is still possible for people to come for the siting because the airstrip is receiving direct charter flights,” he added.
Those on the caravan will have an opportunity to travel through the Chalbi Desert to North Horr before proceeding to Sibiloi on Saturday.
This article first appeared on Businessdailyafrica.com