By DANIEL TSUMA NYASSYMore by this Author
Cord leaders led by Raila Odinga (second right), Kalonzo Musyoka (right), Mombasa governor Hassan Joho (second left),and Kilifi governor Amason Kingi (left) at the Malindi Law Courts before they were granted orders stopping the government from harassing and intimidating them. PHOTO | WACHIRA MWANGI | NATION MEDIA GROUP
Coalition for Reforms and Democracy (Cord) leaders have declared that there will be no election next year without a reformed Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC).
Cord leader Raila Odinga on Thursday said the electoral commission must be disbanded before 2017, claiming that "it cannot manage a transparent election" and accusing it of frustrating them.
Mr Odinga was speaking in Malindi where Cord obtained court orders restraining the Government from harassing and intimidating its leaders.
High Court judge Said Juma Chitembwe granted the orders at noon when seven lawyers accompanied the Cord principals Raila Odinga, Kalonzo Musyoka and Moses Wetang’ula to the Malindi court.
The seven lawyers included James Orengo (Siaya Senator), Moses Wetang’ula (Bungoma Senator), Stewart Madzayo (Kilifi Senator), Amason Kingi (Kilifi Governor), Anthony Oluoch, Aoko Otieno, Noman Magaya, and James Mouko and made the application under a certificate of urgency.
After the judge’s ruling, the ODM leader told the public assembled outside the Malindi Law Courts that the election of Mr Mtengo was the beginning of the Opposition’s march to State House next year.
Mr Odinga also accused Deputy President William Ruto of using State funds to campaign for Jubilee instead of using the cash to employ youth.
Several other senior Cord leaders drove in convoy to present the court application including Mombasa governor Hassan Joho, Taita Taveta governor John Mruttu, newly-elected Malindi MP William Mtengo, and Mombas Woman Representative Mishi Mboko.
The court application named Cabinet Secretary for Interior Joseph Nkaissery and Jubilee Alliance Party respondents while Cord principal Mr Odinga was included as an interested party.
Justice Chitembwe granted that the case be heard inter partes but it was not immediately clear when the date of hearing was fixed.
Dont be intimidated
When the Wiper Party leader Mr Musyoka addressed the public, hailed the court’s decision saying that justice had been served.
“We are happy with the court decision and at least we have seen justice done. From here, we shall go to the police station to serve them with the orders that they should never again harass or intimidate our people,” Mr Musyoka said.
Mr Musyoka accused the Jubilee government of suppressing democracy by gagging the media, oppressing NGOs (non-governmental organisations), intimidating preachers with degree requirements, undermining Knut (teachers union) and denying political parties cash.
Cord principal Mr Odinga said the coalition will not disintegrate and will win the election next year.
“You will see us together the way we are here until we go to State House,” assured Mr Odinga.
Mr Joho, Kingi, and Mtengo thanked the Malindi residents for supporting ODM, saying harassment of its leaders was a result of Jubilee’s bitterness for the losing the by-election.
“Don’t be intimidated and don’t fear. The fight must go on until we liberate this nation and our democracy,” said Mr Joho.
The Mombasa governor denied that ODM leaders where involved in robbery and violence during the March 7 by-election.
Earlier, the Cord principals arrived at the Malindi airport and were received by a huge crowd. They went to Karen Blixen Club to organise themselves before moving to court.
The town was dotted with supporters wearing ODM t-shirts reminiscent of the March 7 by-election campaign period.
Mr Joho said at the airport that he had received a call from Coast police headquarters not to record a statement with the police “for security reasons.”