Thursday 7 April 2016

Thursday, April 7, 2016: PEV victims speak out about ICC ruling, want compensation

By NATION TEAM
More by this Author
Displaced families camp at the Afraha stadium in Nakuru following post-election violence in 2008. PHOTO | FILE | NATION MEDIA GROUP 
Displaced families camp at the Afraha stadium in Nakuru following post-election violence in 2008. PHOTO | FILE | NATION MEDIA GROUP   

Summary

  • ICC did a shoddy job, says Owegi from Kisumu.
  • It is all history and we should now preach peace and reconciliation. Let’s move on, says Githuku from Kiambaa.
  • I ask the government to rebuild the Kiambaa church that was burnt down by unknown assailants killing 33 people, says Gathuku fron Jasho Farm.
We are happy that DP and Sang are free but they should not forget us, they say.
Joseph Githuku —  Kiambaa
“As a victim of the violence, I sincerely thank God for hearing my cry. My heart is at peace now that the cases have been thrown out. I wish Deputy President William Ruto and Joshua Arap Sang the very best. I lost my wife and son who were burnt to death in the Kiambaa Kenya Assemblies of God Church attack where they had gone to seek shelter at the height of the violence. I have since forgiven the attackers.
It is all history and we should now preach peace and reconciliation. Let’s move on.”
• • • •  • •  • •  • •  • •  • •  
Margaret Gathuku - IDPs chairperson, Jasho Farm (Ngeria)
“I’m overwhelmed with joy following the dismissal of the case against our Deputy President and Joshua Sang. There has been peace and with this development, I believe all be well. I lost all my property when my house was burnt down. However, I am satisfied with the ICC decision and my appeal is that the government should embark on compensating people like me who are yet to be  resettled now that the issue is behind us.
I also ask the government to rebuild the Kiambaa church that was burnt down by unknown assailants killing 33 people.”
 • • • •  • •  • •  • •  • •  • •  
John Kariuki - Chairman, IDPs, Kimure Farm (Ngeria)
“We thank God and the ICC for the decision that was made. Our leaders have been vindicated and as victims, we are satisfied. The government should compensate us now. My house was burnt down and I lost everything including 60 bags of maize. We have heard in the media that some IDPs were compensated and we wonder who these IDPs were because we seem to have been left out. My prayer was that the cases be dropped and now that it has happened, we are asking the government to compensate us so we can start life afresh.”
 • • • •  • •  • •  • •  • •  • •  
Francis Biu -  Burnt Forest
“I’m glad the ICC issue is now behind us. God has finally answered our prayers.  We are now optimistic that the Rift Valley region which was hardest hit by the violence will experience peace and development.
I thank God for the judges who made the decision that DP Ruto and Mr Sang had no case to answer. We say thank you.
I lost everything including my house, over 100 bags of maize, six cows and 25 sheep. Over 200 trees on my farm at Kagongo were cut down. My shop was also razed down by unknown people. I want the government to compensate me."
 • • • •  • •  • •  • •  • •  • •  
Nemwel Momanyi –Nyamira
The government has forgotten us. Gangs raped my daughter and wife when they stormed out home in Nyagacho, Kericho County where we had lived for more than three decades yet nothing has been done.
Many IDPs were send to a cathedral in Kisii town and others in Keroka. Some camps were ordered closed in a suspicious manners the IDPS integrated into their families without any compensation. We have been denied justice. We will be happy if he can now speed up our compensation. Life is unbearable for those who were displaced. The violence left widows, orphans and many other people were tortured. We need to get our lives back.”
• • • •  • •  • •  • •  • •  • •  
Mr Nelson Owegi- Kisumu
"ICC prosecutor Luis-Moreno Ocampo did a shoddy job in the Ruto-Sang case.  The dismissal of the case is a delay for justice to the victims of the violence. The DP should visit this region and see for himself. We want compensation.
We have been following The Hague process keenly and we  realised the prosecution did not carry out enough investigations. As a result of the violence, most of us have been unable to get back to our feet. Some of our family members have died while a majority are languishing in poverty. Mr Ruto should focus on compensating  Nyanza IDPs now that charges against him have been dropped.”
• • • •  • •  • •  • •  • •  • •  
Musa Mbuthia –Nakuru
"As we welcome the victory for Deputy President and Mr Joshua Sang, we want the government to intervene and end court cases derailing our resettlement on land we were allocated. We also want the government to compensate us as it did other IDPs. We were given only Sh10,000 per household and we now fear we may not get anything more now that the ICC cases have been closed.”
• • • •  • •  • •  • •  • •  • •  
Francis Kago -Nyandarua
“We are asking the government to set us free as well by compensating and resettling us so we can lead normal lives, only then will we feel justice has been done. We are  happy with the ICC decision to terminate the case against Mr Ruto and Mr Sang. However, we still feel the need to get justice. 
The DP has been in the forefront resettling IDPs and he should now remember those who have been forgotten like us. We want the Sh400,000 and land that others were given.”
Samburu North MP Alois Lentoimanga said the president’s tribulations at ICC were as a result of political incitement.
He urged the government to ensure victims are fully compensated and resettled in the Sh 10 billion plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment