Friday, 24 May 2013

Politicians threaten to sue for being named

Former Assistant minister in the Prime Minister's office Alfred Khang'ati. FILE
Former Assistant minister in the Prime Minister's Office Alfred Khang'ati. FILE  NATION
Posted  Thursday, May 23  2013 at  21:15
Some of the prominent names mentioned in the Truth Justice and Reconciliation Commission report have threatened to take the team to court as the backlash over the findings continue.
Mr Alfred Khangati, a former assistant minister in the now defunct office of the Prime Minister together with former Wildlife Minister Noah Wekesa said they had already instructed their lawyers to sue the commission for wrongly implicating them in vices they did not commit.
Abuse of office
Mr Khangati was accused of abuse of office while Dr Wekesa was said to have, as contained in the Akiwumi and Kiliku reports, allegedly instigated politically motivated ethnic clashes.
Thursday, Mr Khangati denied claims that he had written a letter to a teacher and trade unionist with the intention to intimidate and threaten her as well as influence her transfer to several schools in Bungoma County.
“I am extremely disappointed that the TJRC found it necessary to drag such small matters into their report and in the process damage my reputation,” he said.
He went on; “I responded to these claims and clarified that the matter involved parents and it was my duty to stand by them. I have instructed my lawyers to sue the TJRC collectively and individually.”
He said he received a letter, dated February 18, from TJRC requesting him to respond to accusations against him after the March 4 general election.
Mr Wekesa said the inclusion of his name in the report was surprising.
“Infact it is my people who are the victims of clashes in Trans Nzoia. How then can a victim become a perpetrator?” he posed.
“Were TJRC people short of names to include me in the list? These people are jokers. I will be move to court immediately.”
Kitui Senator David Musila also expressed shock that he had been accused of planning, instigating and abetting the torture and forceful eviction of Nzalae residents between 1982 and 1983.
“I would like to know my accusers and why if the commission wanted to know the truth, they did not call me to face my accusers,” said Senator Musila.
Mr Peter Kiilu, who had also been accused of spearheading the grabbing of a 240-acre forest in Magutu Location when he was Central Provincial Commissioner, denied that such a thing took place.
“I really don’t agree with the findings of this report. I am exploring various options on my next cause of action. Nobody should be allowed to tarnish the name of another the way ours have been tarnished,” he said.
Former nominated MP Mark Too, who also accused of instigating 1991/1992 clashes, also expressed surprise at his inclusion in the report.
Right of reply
Even though he said he has neither seen the report nor read its contents, all the accusations levelled against him are false.
“Infact at the height of the clashes, I hosted several members of the Kikuyu community who were fleeing the clashes on my farm. My name has been included in the report yet I was not even called to reply to the accusations,” he said.
“These people should have had the courtesy of calling us. It is unfair. There is nothing I have done. Infact, I attended one of their hearings in Eldoret, spoke about peace, and I was never told that I was facing some accusations,” added Mr Too.

No comments:

Post a Comment