Sunday 15 June 2014

Saturday, June 14, 2014 I met my sweet hubby online

Millie Odhiambo (foreground),Rachel Shebesh (centre) and  Mohammed Gabow at parliament buildings on February 1, 2011. Millie met her husband online. PHOTO/FILE
Millie Odhiambo (foreground),Rachel Shebesh (centre) and Mohammed Gabow at parliament buildings on February 1, 2011. Millie met her husband online. PHOTO/FILE 
By Angela Oketch
More by this Author

In Summary

  • I once put a photo of me resting on the shoulders of Mabona (my husband).  It was not funny but people really liked it; I don’t know why.  We are normal.  We love, we cry, we sing, we dance.  We are human.
  • Whenever I see the barefoot women of Mbita, I see my late mother. She passed away the day I was going to declare my candidature for Mbita. Even though she was not barefoot, the struggle she went through as a widow to see all eight of us educated while still caring for others not her own, equates her to these women. I feel a well of joy and immense love.  I see hope, I see possibilities.
  • Given that I also have a strong character, Christian faith moderates me a lot.  If I was not a committed Christian, I would be a Lady Gaga of sorts. 
  • God blessed me with a good skin and face — not the best but I can’t complain too much.  Then I am a little allergic to lipstick and lip gloss so I skip that. I will only notice if my shoes and clothes go that is why my beauty lies.
 
Q: Why do you call yourself Geza Geza?
A: Geza Geza shows part of my roots.  I am half Luo and half Suba.  Geza Geza is the Suba me. 
Q: Did you have to go all the way to Robert Mugabe’s country to get the love of your life?
A: My heart and God sent me there.  He is another special delivery from God.  He came at a time I had purposed to block any relationship from my life then he landed from nowhere with a thud into my heart.
Q: How was your first date?
Our first date was on the Internet, sema real digital.
Q: What is the naughtiest thing you have ever posted on Facebook?
A: Yes I am active on social media.  I don’t know what naughty posts I have made but I am always at it.  Occasionally I have a funny side and it appears.  Many times I’m told to get a handler so that I do not have to interact with people directly.  I like being real.  Let people like me for who I am. Joys, pains, laughters, goofs and all. 
I once put a photo of me resting on the shoulders of Mabona (my husband).  It was not funny but people really liked it; I don’t know why.  We are normal.  We love, we cry, we sing, we dance.  We are human.
Q: You once posted a photo of you in the kitchen in high heels.  Do you cook?
A: Yes, I once posted a photo of me with heels in the kitchen cooking ugali.
Q: Do you cook for your husband?
A: Given my crazy life, I do not cook regularly except when I am in Zimbabwe then I do all the house chores.  I cook, I wash clothes, I clean the house and all. 
In Nairobi I cook for him occasionally.  I am a good cook but I do not have as much time to cook any more. My favourite dish is traditional/ethnic- osuga, omena, githeri, mrenda…..get the drift?
Q: When you were a nominated MP, you said Mbita people call you “Migogo”.  How did you fight the tag and got yourself elected?
A: Culture has many facets.  Even though migogo (married woman) was being used negatively by my opponents, culturally, it has many advantages. 
Migogo connotes I am a daughter and not a stranger. Migogo had a special place.  If she visited she was allowed to go to the dero (granary) and pick whatever she wanted. 
I went to the dero and picked leadership. In Luo we also have a saying nyodo okonyo omboga, which means it is children who bring blessings. 
This is without regard to the gender of the nyodo. That was my position.
Q: What goes on in your mind whenever you meet the barefoot women of Mbita?
A: Whenever I see the barefoot women of Mbita, I see my late mother. She passed away the day I was going to declare my candidature for Mbita.
Even though she was not barefoot, the struggle she went through as a widow to see all eight of us educated while still caring for others not her own, equates her to these women.  I feel a well of joy and immense love.  I see hope, I see possibilities.
Q: How does your being Christian shape your decision making?
A: My faith as a Christian is what drives me.  That is something I can never let go of. It spurs me every morning. 
It protects me more than you can never know. My background usually brings a balance in my life.  Politics is a sector that largely stands for everything that goes against the Christian principles.
People are dishonest, people backstab, people are disrespectful, people are hateful and spiteful.  I have personal devotions every morning and family devotions every night. 
Given that I also have a strong character, Christian faith moderates me a lot.  If I was not a committed Christian, I would be a Lady Gaga of sorts. 
Christianity tempers what I do.  It also makes me fearless sometimes because I know I subscribe to a higher calling and all these things here are temporary.
Q:.How do you manage to juggle between family and politics?
A: It is a challenge to juggle family and politics but it is one of those things you must negotiate with your partner because our lives are crazy. 
As you speak, today I was to do some parliamentary work, go to Mombasa road for office work, meet our architect for some construction work, have lunch with a friend and then leave for Arusha. 
That changed in the last 20 minutes.  Now I am heading to Homa Bay County for a funeral.  I purpose to make time when I can and at least one day a week I close myself off to the world and concentrate of family. 
If you don’t, you will serve the world and remain alone.
Q: What do you think is wrong with Kenya?
A: Kenyans we are so tribal.  I have faced instances when I have been abused on social media just because my last name betrays me. 
Kenyans also have very short memories.  We forget too fast the struggles we have been through and take things for granted.  We can lose in a minute what we fought for years and no one gives a damn.
Q: What would you do if you woke up one morning and realised that all the make-up in your house has been stolen and you have an important meeting less than an hour later?
A: I will hardly notice.  I wear very minimal make-up.  Usually I just douche powder and sometimes not even that. I am a very beautiful woman.  God blessed me with a good skin and face — not the best but I can’t complain too much.  Then I am a little allergic to lipstick and lip gloss so I skip that. 
I will only notice if my shoes and clothes go that is why my beauty lies.
Q: What is this about Suba girls and behinds?
.A:  I am endowed with them and I am happy. The Bible says “I am fearfully and wonderfully made” I have no apologies for having a good behind because I am not in the business of contradicting God! 
Q:  You were very tight with Rachel Shebesh and viciously defended Raila Odinga in Parliament. Why did you part ways?
A: It is true that we were tight with Shebesh and strong supporters of Raila Amollo Odinga then because we had our party at heart as nominated members. The connection was too tight but now that she left the party (for TNA) we had to part ways.
We have a different mandate, our parties have different ideologies, agendas and different directions. The only thing that is still joining us is the women issues. We are together in the Pan African Parliament and we shall still work together where women issues are concerned.
I am also the Member of Parliament for Mbita  so I tend to concentrate so much on my people than friends. Mbita people need me more.
Q: Does the MP for Mbita  have children?
A:  The MP for Mbita does not have any child.  She has a step daughter who is in Botswana.

No comments:

Post a Comment